06 August 2010
Plath Profiles 3 Online Now!
Plath Profiles 3 is online now! Wahoo! This is one of our best issues ever! Certainly in the top 3.
The cover is a detail from Sylvia Plath & Ted Hughes’ bedroom wallpaper from 3 Chalcot Square, London, 1960. See the whole swatch either in the Lilly Library (Plath Mss. II, Box 6) or by reading “A Note About the Cover” in the issue. Here are the contents:
“Plath's Legacy for a Male Poet” by Peter Cooley
"’On the Quicksands of Ambivalence’: Irony in Sylvia Plath” by Maria Rita Drummond Viana
“Plath's Possession Aesthetic: Visual and Object Libido” by Tisha Nemeth-Loomis
“Through the Looking Glass: A Discussion of Doubling in Sylvia Plath's ‘Mirror’" by Cathleen Allyn Conway
“Similarities and Dissimilarities in the Poetry of Kamala Das and Sylvia Plath” by Nidhi Mehta
“Poetic Echoes of Sylvia Plath in the Poetry of Oriya Poet Ramakant Rath” by A. J. Khan and B. D. Dash
"’Through the Beautiful Red’: The Use of the Color Red as the Triple-Goddess in Sylvia Plath's Ariel” by Allison Wilkins
“Sylvia Plath's Spell on Ariel: Conjuring the Perfect Book of Poems Through Mysticism and Tarot” by Julia Gordon-Bramer
"’They Had to Call and Call’: The Search for Sylvia Plath” by Peter K. Steinberg
Lifting The Bell Jar: Essays on the Novel
“Alienation and Renewal in The Bell Jar” by Steven Axelrod
“The Female Predicament in The Bell Jar and St. Mawr” by Andru Lugo
“The Bell Jar: A Psychological Case Study” by Stephanie Tsank
“A Poem, A Friend: by Gail Crowther with Elizabeth Sigmund
from “Birthday Letters: Annotations and Commentary” by Kara Kilfoil
from Sylvia Plath's Poetry: The Metamorphoses of the Poetic Self by Elena Ciobanu
“Baking for Sylvia” by Kate Moses
Sylvia Plath and Material Culture, Guest Edited by Amanda Golden
“Sylvia Plath and Material Culture” by Amanda Golden
“These Ghostly Archives, Redux” by Gail Crowther & Peter K. Steinberg
“Medusa/Melusina: The Magic Mirror of Sylvia Plath's ‘Medusa’" by Nephie Christodoulides
“Early Public Representations of Sylvia Plath: An Analysis of the Sylvia Plath Issue of The Review” by Gina Hodnik
“Sylvia Plath and Edvard Munch: Mindscape of Chagrin” by Hong Zeng
“Talking Body Parts and Missing Commodities: Cinematic Complexes and Sylvia Plath” by Vindu Aggarwal
Three Poems by David Trinidad
Three Poems by Christine Walde
Two Poems by Peter Cooley
Five Poems by Raymond Luczak
“Sylvia” by Barbara Crooker
Two Poems by Sarah Nichols
Six Poems by Hong Zeng
“Methodology” by Erika Mikkalo
Five Poems by Teresa Laye
“Sylvia” by Allison Wilkins
“Bee Reflections” by Stacy Smith
“A Note for Sylvia Plath (9 Willow Street Revisited)” by Dale A. Edmands
“After Plath” by Christi Concus
“Daddy” by Smita Agarwal
“Daddy” by Kristina Zimbakova
“Ariel” by Kristina Zimbakova
“O Detective” by Maria Rita Drummond Viana
Five Sympathies by
Gaze or Something by W. K. Buckley
Note to the Editor by Celia
On Sylvia Plath: A Response to Celia by Steven Axelrod
A Note About the Cover by Peter K. Steinberg
Review of Elena Ciobanu, Sylvia Plath's Poetry: The Metamorphoses of the Poetic Self by Luke Ferretter
Read Plath Profiles 3 now!
We are in talks to see if Lindsay Lohan will guest edit a supplemental issue of Plath Profiles...
Publications & Acknowledgements
- BBC Four.A Poet's Guide to Britain: Sylvia Plath. London: BBC Four, 2009. (Acknowledged in)
- Biography: Sylvia Plath. New York: A & E Television Networks, 2005. (Photographs used)
- Connell, Elaine. Sylvia Plath: Killing the angel in the house. 2d ed. Hebden Bridge: Pennine Pens, 1998. (Acknowledged in)
- Crowther, Gail and Peter K. Steinberg. "These Ghostly Archives." Plath Profiles 2. Summer 2009: 183-208.
- Crowther, Gail and Peter K. Steinberg. "These Ghostly Archives, Redux." Plath Profiles 3. Summer 2010: 232-246.
- Crowther, Gail and Peter K. Steinberg. "These Ghostly Archives 3." Plath Profiles 4. Summer 2011: 119-138.
- Crowther, Gail and Peter K. Steinberg. "These Ghostly Archives 4: Looking for New England." Plath Profiles 5. Summer 2012: 11-56.
- Crowther, Gail and Peter K. Steinberg. "These Ghostly Archives 5: Reanimating the Past." Plath Profiles 6. Summer 2013: 27-62.
- Death Be Not Proud: The Graves of Poets. New York: Poets.org. (Photographs used)
- Doel, Irralie, Lena Friesen and Peter K. Steinberg. "An Unacknowledged Publication by Sylvia Plath." Notes & Queries 56:3. September 2009: 428-430.
- Elements of Literature, Third Course. Austin, Tex. : Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 2009. (Photograph used)
- Helle, Anita. "Lessons from the Archive: Sylvia Plath and the Politics of Memory". Feminist Studies 31:3. Fall 2005: 631-652.. (Acknowledged in)
- Helle, Anita Plath. The Unraveling Archive: Essays on Sylvia Plath. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2007. (Photographs used, acknowledged in)
- Holden, Constance. "Sad Poets' Society." Science Magazine. 27 July 2008. (Photograph used)
- Making Trouble: Three Generations of Funny Jewish Women, Motion Picture. Directed by Rachel Talbot. Brookline (Mass.): Jewish Women's Archive, 2007. (Photograph used)
- Plath, Sylvia, and Karen V. Kukil. 2000. The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath, 1950-1962. New York: Anchor Books. (Acknowledged in)
- Gill, Jo. "Sylvia Plath in the South West." University of Exeter Centre for South West Writing, 2008. (Photograph used)
- Reiff, Raychel Haugrud. Sylvia Plath: The Bell Jar and Poems (Writers and Their Works). Marshall Cavendish Children's Books, 2008.. (Images provided)
- Plath, Sylvia. Glassklokken. Oslo: De norske Bokklubbene, 2004. (Photograph used on cover)
- Steinberg, Peter K. Sylvia Plath (Great Writers). Philadelphia: Chelsea House Publishers, 2004.
- Steinberg, Peter K. "'I Should Be Loving This': Sylvia Plath's 'The Perfect Place' and The Bell Jar." Plath Profiles 1. Summer 2008: 253-262.
- Steinberg, Peter K. "'They Had to Call and Call': The Search for Sylvia Plath." Plath Profiles 3. Summer 2010: 106-132.
- Steinberg, Peter K. "Sylvia Plath." The Spoken Word: Sylvia Plath. London: British Library, 2010.
- Steinberg, Peter K. "This is a Celebration: A Festschrift for The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath." Plath Profiles 3 Supplement. Fall 2010: 3-14.
- Steinberg, Peter K. "Proof of Plath." Fine Books & Collections 9:2. Spring 2011: 11-12.
- Steinberg, Peter K. "A Perfectly Beautiful Time: Sylvia Plath at Camp Helen Storrow." Plath Profiles 4. Summer 2011: 149-166.
- Steinberg, Peter K. "Textual Variations in The Bell Jar Publications." Plath Profiles 5. Summer 2012.
- "Banking on his passion for Plath" by Melissa Davis Haller. UMW Today. Spring 2005.
- "Sylvia Plath's Three Women to be staged in London" by Alison Flood. The Guardian. 3 December 2008.
- "FBI files on Sylvia Plath's father shed new light on poet" by Dalya Alberge. The Guardian. 17 August 2012.
- "There Are Almost No Obituaries for Sylvia Plath" by Ashley Fetters. The Atlantic. 11 February 2013.