19 August 2007

Sylvia Plath collections: Letters to W. S. (William Stanley) and Dido Merwin, 1958-1969

Emory Universit's Ted Hughes collection hold some letters to W. S. Merwin and his wife Dido, from 1958-1969. Plath is a named person in these letters obviously as the Merwin's were very influential to Plath and Hughes from around 1958 on. Remember that Plath wrote much of novel The Bell Jar in the Merwin's house, located at 11 St. George's Terrace (pictured to the right), alongside and overlooking Primrose Hill. Anne Steveson's Bitter Fame prints a small memoir by Dido as an appendix, and also retells the somewhat humorous story of Plath and Hughes visit to the Merwin's in France in 1961.

Letters to W. S. (William Stanley) and Dido Merwin, 1958-1969

The collection contains correspondence from English poet Ted Hughes to W.S. and Dido Merwin from 1958-1969. Hughes first writes in 1958 from Northhampton, Massachusetts while teaching at Amherst. The next letters chronicle the young couples' move back to England and subsequent birth of their daughter in 1960. In the fall of 1961-1962 Hughes writes as he settles at Court Green in Devon. The letters contain information on Hughes' early literary endeavors and his early married life. Also included is a letter from his sister Olwyn, shortly after Assia Wevill's death in 1969. Several of Hughes' letters contained typescripts of poems.

The collection contains just one box.

The full finding aid to this collection is online here.

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Publications & Acknowledgements

Interviews