Skip to main content

Review of Panel 11: Plath and Hughes

The "Plath and Hughes" panel was nearly filled to standing room only, which illustrates how important a topic this is, likely to the chagrin of some. Helen Decker spoke on "Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes Side by Side: What I Can and Can't Tell You", Rai Peterson's paper was supposed to be on "Hughes and the Two Ariel's" but she changed it to "An Efficiency, A Great Beauty": Sylvia Plath's Ariel Titles", and Georg Nöffke spoke on "These Super'People: The Superimpostion of Ted Hughes' 'Brasilia' on Sylvia Plath's 'Brasilia'".

No one in the room was disappointed. The three presenters in the Walnut Room spoke clearly and expertly on their chosen topics. Decker has been at work on a book about Plath and Hughes for a while, and with any luck we'll see it soon for general consumption. She has been working both on Plath's and Hughes' appearances in periodicals together, as well as the way they wrote on the backs of each others manuscripts and typescripts. In general, and I mean this politely, Decker's presentation was a tease because as much as she could say, she didn't want to go too far. Working extensively with Plath's archives and Hughes', Decker's work looks to put her own spin on a fascinating topic.

Rai Peterson's paper sounded interesting in the printed abstract, but when she announced a title change, it suddenly grew more interesting. Rather than discuss the poems Hughes left out of or put into Ariel when it was first published in 1965 (1966 in America), Rai speculated on the ways in which the poetry collection could have been received had they been published under any of the four alternate, deleted titles: The Rival, The Rabbit Catcher, A Birthday Present, and Daddy. She highlighted how the title and title poems might have changed the reception of each work, ultimately agreeing that the poem "Ariel" and the title Ariel was by far the best choice based on the narrative arc of the contents. She interestingly pointed out that of all the changes Hughes and the editors made to the book when first published, that the title was not one of those changes.

Georg Nöffke flew all the way from South African to leave me, at least, speechless. I was terrifically excited to hear about "Brasilia" as it is an undervalued and underdiscussed work, both Plath's as well as Hughes's own response. He had a handout of images of the planned city of Brasilia, which completely adds to our understanding of some of the imagery in the poetry. Georg and Lynda K. Bundtzen also discussed at the end some of the finer points of his paper and some of the text in Hughes' poem, which continued to enlighten me on things of which I was otherwise ignorant. I was interested to hear Georg assert that Birthday Letters and the construction of both Hughes' persona in it as well as that of Plath's should be considered in a similar way (intentionally, perhaps?) that we look at Plath's construction of her own personal mythology (as expressed by Judith Kroll in her seminal work Chapters in a Mythology) in Ariel. Georg concluded that in the case of the two poems "Brasilia", Hughes was speaking over Plath, rather than more or less responding or reacting to her, her poetry and their life together.

More recap later on the individual talks by David Trinidad and Tracy Brain!

Popular posts from this blog

Sylvia Plath's Gravestone Vandalized

The following news story appeared online this morning: HEPTONSTALL, ENGLAND (APFS) - The small village of Heptonstall is once again in the news because of the grave site of American poet Sylvia Plath. The headstone controversy rose to a fever pitch in 1989 when Plath's grave was left unmarked for a long period of time after vandals repeatedly chiseled her married surname Hughes off the stone marker. Author Nick Hornby commented, "I like Plath, but the controversy reaching its fever pitch in the 80s had nothing to do with my book title choice." Today, however, it was discovered that the grave was defaced but in quite an unlikely fashion. This time, Plath's headstone has had slashed-off her maiden name "Plath," so the stone now reads "Sylvia Hughes." A statement posted on Twitter from @masculinistsfortedhughes (Masculinists for Ted Hughes) has claimed responsibility saying that, "We did this because as Ted Hughes' first wife, Sylvia de

Famous Quotes of Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath inspires us all in various and wonderful ways. She is in many respects a form of comfort to us, which is something that Esther Greenwood expresses in The Bell Jar , about a bath: "There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them. Whenever I'm sad I'm going to die, or so nervous I can't sleep, or in love with somebody I won't be seeing for a week, I slump down just so far and then I say: 'I'll go take a hot bath.'" We read and remember Sylvia Plath for many reasons, many of them deeply personal and private. But we commemorate her, too, in very public ways, as Anna of the long-standing Tumblr Loving Sylvia Plath , has been tracking, in the form of tattoos. (Anna's on Instagram with it too, as SylviaPlathInk .) The above bath quote is among Sylvia Plath's most famous. It often appears here and there and it is stripped of its context. But I think most people will know it is from her nove

Sylvia Plath and McLean Hospital

In August when I was in the final preparations for the tour of Sylvia Plath The Bell Jar sites, I found that I had long been mistaken about a couple of things. This is my coming clean. It was my intention in this blog post to discuss just McLean, but I found myself deeply immersed in other aspects of Plath's recovery. The other thing I was mistaken about will be discussed in a separate blog post. I suppose I need to state from the outset that I am drawing conclusions from Plath's actual experiences from what she wrote in The Bell Jar and vice versa, taking information from the novel that is presently unconfirmed or murky and applying it to Plath's biography. There is enough in The Bell Jar , I think, based on real life to make these decisions. At the same time, I like to think that I know enough to distinguish where things are authentic and where details were clearly made up, slightly fudged, or out of chronological order. McLean Hospital was Plath's third and last