Skip to main content

Sylvia Plath Bonhams Sale Result

Due to a busy November I missed posting on the outcome of the Bonhams auction of a Sylvia Plath typescript on 15 November 2017. And with the recent news about Frieda Hughes putting to auction some of the items she inherited from her parents, it seems like a rather timely time to mention this auction result now. Fresh back from Belfast and London and filled with memories that are insatiably fine, it slipped my mind that I had typically posted on the results. The result of the auction was that the item, an unpublished short story called "The Dark River", sold for the minimum bid, which after premiums and everything came out to £750 (about US $1,001 at the time of writing).

Part of the oversight also stems from the fact that the winner of the auction notified me a couple of days afterwards to inform me that she was giving the typescript to me as a gift. Since that time I have been rather befuddled, occasionally weepy with happy disbelief, and completely staggered at her kindness. The giver of this gift is Suzanne, whom I met in late 2013 in advance of our 2014 tour of Sylvia Plath's England. We have maintained the friendship and kinship since then, reconnecting finally in person recently in Belfast. To this very moment and as far into the future that I can see, I will never, ever, ever feel really worthy of this degree of kindness. Thank you, Suzanne.

I was notified that the story was to ship on 20 December---the red tape surrounding an export of cultural heritage is necessarily long. I had it sent to my parent's house, thinking I could just collect it at Christmas. The estimated delivery date was just two days later so I was stoked as I might actually have it before Christmas. But, unfortunately, it was not as easy as all that… The box containing the typescript was sent, firstly, to the wrong airport in the US. Then, after being re-routed to the right airport for distribution, the box actually went missing for more than two days. You can imagine I was hitting refresh on the shipper's website about every 12 seconds! I called on the morning of Boxing Day and got a completely unsympathetic person. I called later that day and got a really helpful person who put a trace on it. Literally within the hour of calling, there was activity on the tracking webpage. They were scheduled to call me at 10 am on the 27th with an update. Sadly, this did not happen and around 11:20 I called them back. They were in the process of transferring me to my case agent when, looking out of my childhood bedroom window, the delivery van pulled up to the house.

This was funny. My mom yelled up to me "It's here!" I hung up the phone and walked as casually as I could downstairs. We stood at the window in the dining room, looking at the driver. He took a sip of water. He put lotion on his hands. He took out his phone. It seemed he texted a few people. He took another sip of water. He took another sip of water. He took out his phone and did something else. He took another sip of water. And another. And another. After about five minutes of making me wait longer, he finally got out of the van, opened the side door, found the box (which was so big I'm baffled how something of its size went missing---like Plath, actually---for more than two days) and brought it to the front door.



In general the tracking was a failure. No indication, for example, that it departed from England; no notification that it was actually out for delivery. Or, if "with delivery courier" means "Out for delivery", then having it be updated at the exact time it was delivered is hardly useful. Enough complaining...it was delivered! Ought I to write a poem titled "The Arrival of the Typescript Box"? The box was only temporary...

The story was packaged really well, so at least there was that. Here are some images from my methodically opening it up.

The Arrival of the Typescript Box

An illicit amount of bubble wrap

Fine British-made cardboard

Getting there

What's one more obstacle?

The folder slipped into a mylar sleeve

The folder

The folder, again

THE typescript...worth the wait? Yes.

I am in the process now of having someone to make a custom box to house the typescript and when it is made I will show it off. If you want?

This copy of "The Dark River" is the carbon copy of a copy held by the Lilly Library. It is just over six pages long (so, numbered to page 7) and was at one point folded in half lengthwise. It has red pencil notations, probably by her English teacher Wilbury Crockett on pages 1 and 4; as well there is typing mistake on page 5. Throughout on the carbon there is residue from typing errors where Plath had to type over a blunder; and along the margins there is further residue from the platen. The Lilly Library copy has a cover page that reads "THE DARK RIVER / a story by / Sylvia Plath" and is dated in black pen at the top right, in Plath's hand "1949". The cover page is lacking from this carbon copy. The Lilly Library also has a second copy of this story that reflects the corrections suggested by the red pencil in MY copy. But what I do not know is if this was written during Plath's junior year at Bradford (now Wellesley) High between January and June 1949, of during her senior year from September to December 1949.

Interestingly, this is an early instance of Plath titling a short story the same title as a poem. In 1948, she wrote a poem called "The Dark River / (P. N.)"  The "P. N." is undoubtedly Perry Norton. This sixteen line work is an early love poem if ever there was one and bears thematic resemblance to the short story. Luke Ferretter summed up the story nicely in his "Introduction" to his brilliant Sylvia Plath's Fiction: A Critical Study (2010), writing:

In 'The Dark River', from 1949, a woman tells the narrator about a mysterious river which has come between her and those she wants to love. When she was young, she was sure that her dreams and desires were would all be fulfilled, but she has come to realise that the strange dark river that fascinated her will always prevent her from true communication or relationship with others. At the end of the text, the woman who tells the narrator her story fades into the narrator's own imagination, which has been playing upon the real river in front of her. (3)
And Kathleen Connors also wrote on "The Dark River" in Eye Rhymes: Sylvia Plath's Art of the Visual (2007: 58-59, 67-68).

I cannot thank Suzanne enough for this unique, cherished, ultra rare Sylvia Plath gift. I doubt there are words that justly convey my sincere appreciation.

All linked accessed 19 and 30 December 2017 and 30 January 2018.

Popular posts from this blog

Sylvia Plath's Gravestone Vandalized

The following news story appeared online this morning: HEPTONSTALL, ENGLAND (APFS) - The small village of Heptonstall is once again in the news because of the grave site of American poet Sylvia Plath. The headstone controversy rose to a fever pitch in 1989 when Plath's grave was left unmarked for a long period of time after vandals repeatedly chiseled her married surname Hughes off the stone marker. Author Nick Hornby commented, "I like Plath, but the controversy reaching its fever pitch in the 80s had nothing to do with my book title choice." Today, however, it was discovered that the grave was defaced but in quite an unlikely fashion. This time, Plath's headstone has had slashed-off her maiden name "Plath," so the stone now reads "Sylvia Hughes." A statement posted on Twitter from @masculinistsfortedhughes (Masculinists for Ted Hughes) has claimed responsibility saying that, "We did this because as Ted Hughes' first wife, Sylvia de

Famous Quotes of Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath inspires us all in various and wonderful ways. She is in many respects a form of comfort to us, which is something that Esther Greenwood expresses in The Bell Jar , about a bath: "There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them. Whenever I'm sad I'm going to die, or so nervous I can't sleep, or in love with somebody I won't be seeing for a week, I slump down just so far and then I say: 'I'll go take a hot bath.'" We read and remember Sylvia Plath for many reasons, many of them deeply personal and private. But we commemorate her, too, in very public ways, as Anna of the long-standing Tumblr Loving Sylvia Plath , has been tracking, in the form of tattoos. (Anna's on Instagram with it too, as SylviaPlathInk .) The above bath quote is among Sylvia Plath's most famous. It often appears here and there and it is stripped of its context. But I think most people will know it is from her nove

Sylvia Plath and McLean Hospital

In August when I was in the final preparations for the tour of Sylvia Plath The Bell Jar sites, I found that I had long been mistaken about a couple of things. This is my coming clean. It was my intention in this blog post to discuss just McLean, but I found myself deeply immersed in other aspects of Plath's recovery. The other thing I was mistaken about will be discussed in a separate blog post. I suppose I need to state from the outset that I am drawing conclusions from Plath's actual experiences from what she wrote in The Bell Jar and vice versa, taking information from the novel that is presently unconfirmed or murky and applying it to Plath's biography. There is enough in The Bell Jar , I think, based on real life to make these decisions. At the same time, I like to think that I know enough to distinguish where things are authentic and where details were clearly made up, slightly fudged, or out of chronological order. McLean Hospital was Plath's third and last