Skip to main content

Sylvia Plath: Letters Words and Fragments Conference, Ulster, Day 1

Being at a Sylvia Plath Conference often means you end up, quite quickly, in a stupor of over-stimulation from the talks. This conference is, thus, typical. Even the act of collecting my name tag and programme took on a kind of wonder as you meet people that you have emailed with or conversed with over social media. This is what happened when I met Eilish, who was on the desk helping out (and doing a wonderful job of it).


The first panel of the day after some introductory remarks by Dr. Thomas Maguire was "Leaving Traces: Archives and Biographies" and featured several speakers. And I cannot fathom a better start to it. I wish I had the expertise and composure Danielle has when I was her age. Her exploration of the "I" in Plath's Journals and problems of biography. Amanda revealed a never-before-seen photograph of Plath in Rome before turning tables to discuss a typographical error in "Blackberrying" that persists to this day. Gail Crowther wowed the crowed with a discussion of the Living Archive. Christine Walde discoursed on the annotations made by readers of Sylvia Plath's poems and had a small exhibit of them on the wall.  It was a thrill to chair this panel even though I had little idea of what to do and how to do it

Chaired by Jonathan Stephenson, panel two was "Visualising Plath's Poetry: Artistic Critiques and Responses". The speakers here, Dr Ikram Hili (Poems as watercolour paintings), Carmen Bonasera (Ariel, chromatic & natural imagery), and Bella Biddle (Plath and art) concentrated convincingly on the use of color in Plath's poems. I really could have listened to each the entire day, only, as I know they each only scratched the surface on these topics. Bella Biddle played a beautiful choral composition of "Nick and the Candlestick" which hauntingly swirls in my head at this very moment.

The third panel was chaired by Gail Crowther and had just two exciting speakers: Julia Gordon-Bramer on Plath and Whiteness and Siana Bangura on "Black Women Don't Get to Confess": Sylvia Plath re-read through a Black Feminist framework. These talks were interesting and lead to lunch.

After lunch, panel four considered Aurelia Schober Plath. The papers by Dr Adrianne Kalfopoulou (making of the Plathian voice), Catherine Rankovic (Aurelia Plath's Gregg shortland annotations), and Dr Janet Badia (mother-daughter intimacy in the archive) was better and more energizing than coffee. I am fairly certain my jaw hit he floor every few minutes during these presentations. It seems there is a lot of interest in Aurelia Schober Plath and got the impression people are just beginning to scratch the surface of her as a woman, as a wife, and as a mother.

Nicola Presley chaired the Ted Hughes panel which you might think was mean. But she was awesome as were the four talks by Dr Carrie Smith (Manuscript drafts of Ted Hughes' Cave Birds), Dr Mark Wormald (Plath, Hughes, Wevill, pikes and shrikes); Terry Gifford (Hughes editing Plath's "Child") and Dr Holly Ranger (Plath in Tales from Ovid). I cannot say anything about these papers other than they blew me away. It was a particular highlight to meet each of the speakers as I knew their names and read their work but never come across them. In the end, initially, the audience was left speechless. I was a bit agitated as during Gifford's talk I recognized that his paper and conclusions were faulty and discussed this with him privately, afterwards, as I could not muster courage or what have you to do so to within earshot of the assembled audience.

The sixth and last panel of the day, chaired by organizer Maeve O'Brien was 'Gaslighting' Sylvia Plath: Critical Responses / New Directions and was spirited. The presenters were Peter Fydler (publishing watershed in 1975-1976), Dr Tim Hancock (Another 'Ariel'), Dr Chiara Luis (ripping apart the excessive reaction to Plath by Terry Castle), and Emily Van Duyne (Plath, Hughes and literary abuse). Each convincingly discussed their topics, often with humor, which was much appreciated at the end of the long day.

Overall, it was fantastic to meet and see so many people, talk Plath (and Hughes) (and other stuff) and spend good quality time with like minded folks. Dinner, hosted in the Native, was lovely with great food, excellent drinks, and of course over-stimulating conversation (which somehow morphed into a brief discuss of Hobbits procreating... but do not ask me how we got there).

So many people were tweeting about the day so make sure to look at #sylviaplath2017 in the Twitter.

Registration for Day 2 of the Conference starts in about three hours...

All links accessed 11 November 2017.

Popular posts from this blog

Sylvia Plath's Gravestone Vandalized

The following news story appeared online this morning: HEPTONSTALL, ENGLAND (APFS) - The small village of Heptonstall is once again in the news because of the grave site of American poet Sylvia Plath. The headstone controversy rose to a fever pitch in 1989 when Plath's grave was left unmarked for a long period of time after vandals repeatedly chiseled her married surname Hughes off the stone marker. Author Nick Hornby commented, "I like Plath, but the controversy reaching its fever pitch in the 80s had nothing to do with my book title choice." Today, however, it was discovered that the grave was defaced but in quite an unlikely fashion. This time, Plath's headstone has had slashed-off her maiden name "Plath," so the stone now reads "Sylvia Hughes." A statement posted on Twitter from @masculinistsfortedhughes (Masculinists for Ted Hughes) has claimed responsibility saying that, "We did this because as Ted Hughes' first wife, Sylvia de

Famous Quotes of Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath inspires us all in various and wonderful ways. She is in many respects a form of comfort to us, which is something that Esther Greenwood expresses in The Bell Jar , about a bath: "There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them. Whenever I'm sad I'm going to die, or so nervous I can't sleep, or in love with somebody I won't be seeing for a week, I slump down just so far and then I say: 'I'll go take a hot bath.'" We read and remember Sylvia Plath for many reasons, many of them deeply personal and private. But we commemorate her, too, in very public ways, as Anna of the long-standing Tumblr Loving Sylvia Plath , has been tracking, in the form of tattoos. (Anna's on Instagram with it too, as SylviaPlathInk .) The above bath quote is among Sylvia Plath's most famous. It often appears here and there and it is stripped of its context. But I think most people will know it is from her nove

Sylvia Plath and McLean Hospital

In August when I was in the final preparations for the tour of Sylvia Plath The Bell Jar sites, I found that I had long been mistaken about a couple of things. This is my coming clean. It was my intention in this blog post to discuss just McLean, but I found myself deeply immersed in other aspects of Plath's recovery. The other thing I was mistaken about will be discussed in a separate blog post. I suppose I need to state from the outset that I am drawing conclusions from Plath's actual experiences from what she wrote in The Bell Jar and vice versa, taking information from the novel that is presently unconfirmed or murky and applying it to Plath's biography. There is enough in The Bell Jar , I think, based on real life to make these decisions. At the same time, I like to think that I know enough to distinguish where things are authentic and where details were clearly made up, slightly fudged, or out of chronological order. McLean Hospital was Plath's third and last