Skip to main content

Sylvia Plath Collections: More from the New Haul at Emory

There is no experience like the experience of working with he actual papers in the archive. But this is not practical with these papers at this point in time. But I can safely safe archives fever can get a grip virtually, through surrogate researchers. This is what I am experiencing at the moment. The brain will not shut off; it keeps me up at night as if I were in the library itself during the day. And the anticipation stirs me before sunrise. Winter nights are long; but fortunately they are growing shorter.

Emily has done so many kindnesses for me---and by extension you---with the work she had done with this collection. There are a few folders I have asked her not to photograph and sometimes I think this might have been a mistake. (But the materials are there now and in the future perhaps the part of me that is a completest will want them.) Anyway, boxes 2 and 3 have been thoroughly gone through and now it is a process of reading through these files. (Boxes 1 and 4 will be seen to next.)

Picture the scene last Friday... I've take a couple of modes of transportation to get to New York City to see Gail Crowther on her visit to the US. She is meeting with her editor going over some chapters of her new book manuscript. I have some minutes to kill, so I take advantage of free wifi at a place that specializes in selling expensively priced burnt-tasting coffee to see if there are new files for downloading. There were. These were from Box 3, folders 7 through 14 (folder 10 was previously done; folder 11 skipped, those this one is really gnawing at me).

Anyway... so I start downloading. Emily is great and sends me a file count each night so that I can be certain to have downloaded everything. So going into this, around 3:30 in the afternoon, I realize not all the files may have synced up. But folder 9 has me so impatient; I was itching like a rash to see what is in it. I downloaded that one first. I saw many new letters that are not in The Letters of Sylvia Plath. I thought how unfortunate it took so long for these papers to find a home; and how sad it was the Rosenstein refused to help us with the project when I first requested help in 2013. Well, no use in crying over spilled soy milk...

In looking through the letters, the new recipients were familiar names: David Freeman (two letters); Anthony Thwaite (five letters); those letters to the Macedos (four letters); and then letters that I had seen already to Marcia Brown Stern (Volume I) and to Michael Frayn and Wilbury Crockett (both in Volume II). There are two letter excerpts from 1954 and 1955 sent by Claiborne Philips Handleman...all pieces of the Plath puzzle. But there was one letter that instantly swelled my heart when I saw it and lead my eyes to water and to also slam my laptop shut.

Popular posts from this blog

Sylvia Plath's Gravestone Vandalized

The following news story appeared online this morning: HEPTONSTALL, ENGLAND (APFS) - The small village of Heptonstall is once again in the news because of the grave site of American poet Sylvia Plath. The headstone controversy rose to a fever pitch in 1989 when Plath's grave was left unmarked for a long period of time after vandals repeatedly chiseled her married surname Hughes off the stone marker. Author Nick Hornby commented, "I like Plath, but the controversy reaching its fever pitch in the 80s had nothing to do with my book title choice." Today, however, it was discovered that the grave was defaced but in quite an unlikely fashion. This time, Plath's headstone has had slashed-off her maiden name "Plath," so the stone now reads "Sylvia Hughes." A statement posted on Twitter from @masculinistsfortedhughes (Masculinists for Ted Hughes) has claimed responsibility saying that, "We did this because as Ted Hughes' first wife, Sylvia de

Famous Quotes of Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath inspires us all in various and wonderful ways. She is in many respects a form of comfort to us, which is something that Esther Greenwood expresses in The Bell Jar , about a bath: "There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them. Whenever I'm sad I'm going to die, or so nervous I can't sleep, or in love with somebody I won't be seeing for a week, I slump down just so far and then I say: 'I'll go take a hot bath.'" We read and remember Sylvia Plath for many reasons, many of them deeply personal and private. But we commemorate her, too, in very public ways, as Anna of the long-standing Tumblr Loving Sylvia Plath , has been tracking, in the form of tattoos. (Anna's on Instagram with it too, as SylviaPlathInk .) The above bath quote is among Sylvia Plath's most famous. It often appears here and there and it is stripped of its context. But I think most people will know it is from her nove

Sylvia Plath and McLean Hospital

In August when I was in the final preparations for the tour of Sylvia Plath The Bell Jar sites, I found that I had long been mistaken about a couple of things. This is my coming clean. It was my intention in this blog post to discuss just McLean, but I found myself deeply immersed in other aspects of Plath's recovery. The other thing I was mistaken about will be discussed in a separate blog post. I suppose I need to state from the outset that I am drawing conclusions from Plath's actual experiences from what she wrote in The Bell Jar and vice versa, taking information from the novel that is presently unconfirmed or murky and applying it to Plath's biography. There is enough in The Bell Jar , I think, based on real life to make these decisions. At the same time, I like to think that I know enough to distinguish where things are authentic and where details were clearly made up, slightly fudged, or out of chronological order. McLean Hospital was Plath's third and last